top of page

City of Las Vegas
Short-Term Rental Ordinance


All our committees are made up of local community hosts.  What better way to help shape the future of the STR community than by having property owners, who are directly affected, involved in the process.

The Greater Las Vegas STR Association (GLVSTRA) encourages and welcomes local hosts and property owners to get involved to help public officials draft favorable STR legislation for our community.

In 2018, the Las Vegas City Council said homeowners can only rent out homes where they live and must pay an annual $500 licensing fee and a monthly hotel tax, and meet other requirements and restrictions.  This was an effect a ban on whole-home rentals for the STR community spearheaded by then City Councilwoman Lois Tarkanian whose main goal was for a total ban but failed to get support from other council members and as a result, the agreement was made among City of Las Vegas public officials to instead create a more restrictive ordinance allowing only homes that are three-bedrooms or less and requiring hosts to live on site, thereby preventing whole-home rentals.  Any hosts approved for whole-home licensed were grandfathered in.

Today, public officials are considering once again reviewing the current STR ordinance as its restrictive measures have only aggravated the problems for the City and created more hosts operating in the shadows.  We believe that the only way to move forward is by removing the many restrictive measures, creating sensible rules, and making it easier for hosts to get licensed.  The vast majority of hosts operate their Airbnb's without any major issues.  The "bad operators" make up a tiny fraction and as a result, we shouldn't be penalizing all hosts for the actions of a few.

The Greater Las Vegas STR Association has been in touched with some City of Las Vegas officials and we look forward to a fruitful outcome. 

Short-Term Rental FAQ's

What are the new rules for short term rentals?

Short-Term Residential Rentals are limited to owner-occupied homes that are three bedrooms or less, are at least 660 feet from another short-term rental, and must comply with licensing, noise and parking regulations.  All conditions must be met, no waivers or deviations are allowed.

What is the proper process if you want to have a short term rental?

If you meet the Conditional Use Regulations, then you submit for a Conditional Use Verification and submit for your business license. This is done as part of the license review process. You can either start at the Planning Desk at the City Hall (495 S. Main St ) or begin the process by completing the form in advance: As part of the Business Licensing process the applicant will have to have a home inspection performed by a member of our Code Enforcement section.

Are there new changes coming up?

The Nevada Legislature just approved AB363 which has created a new State law.  This new law will require the City of Henderson to update its ordinance.  This may result in even more restrictions to further prevent short-term renting.

Why are some short term rentals being grandfathered in?

When zoning codes change there are often a number of activities that were permitted and legal prior to the code change.  Short-Term Residential Rentals have been approvable in various ways since  2008.  This most recent change has made these approved Short-Term Residential Rental locations nonconforming, planning term for grandfathered status.  When most of these go away they will not be able to be replaced with new operators. 

What are the next steps for short term rentals?

All applications in the system will have their public hearing at the Planning Commission or City Council, as may be appropriate.  Existing licensees or approved Special Use Permit will get to continue to operate as long as they continue to follow all licensing and zoning rules. 

  • Proposed Draft Ordinance:

    • ​None available at this time.​​

bottom of page